Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chicken & Rice Casserole





This is my version of Chicken & Rice Casserole. My friend Thad could eat this every day. Everytime he visits, this is what he wants me to cook. This recipe came from my mom but like always, I put my own twist on it. I never follow a recipe exactly like you are supposed to. I use recipes as a guide but do them my way and make them my own.

This recipe is creamy and oh so yummy. The good thing about it is that you will have leftovers the next day as long as you don't have a Thad like I do. If you have a Thad then it will be gone in a few hours. I have bad stomach trouble so this is something that is very easy on the stomach. This is comfort food for sure. Okay on to the recipe.....


Ingredients:

2 lbs. Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 lb. Creole Rice or Regular Rice (Creole tastes Best)
1 can Cream of Chicken (10 3/4 oz.)
1 can Cream of Mushroom (10 3/4 oz.)
4 stalks Celery
3 tbsp. Garlic or Minced Garlic
4-5 strands of Green Onions
1 Shallot or Small Onion
4 tbsp. Butter (Salted/Unsalted)
4tbsp. Olive Oil (Extra Virgin is best)
2 cup Mayonnaise
10 Slices Provolone Cheese
10 Slices Colby Jack Cheese

Add your chicken to a pot of water. Season your water really good. I normally season my water with garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, salt, and pepper. You are going to make your own stock. While your chicken is boiling, go ahead and chop up your garlic, green onions, celery, and shallot/small onion. Add butter and olive oil to a sauté pan. Once melted, add your vegetables you just chopped up. You are going to sauté them until they are soft and translucent. Now if you don't like the taste of Olive Oil then use 1 stick of butter and leave out the Olive Oil. By this time, your chicken should be done. Once your chicken is done, remove your chicken from the water. KEEP the water. DO NOT drain the water. You may need to add a bit more water to the pot but once your water starts boiling, you are going to add your rice to it. This gives the rice flavor. You created stock from boiling your chicken in seasoned water. Trust me, the rice is going to taste flavorful and yummy.

You are going to need a large baking dish. I normally buy the disposable aluminum baking pans. I use a roaster pan or the lasagna pan. Don't get the really big lasagna pans. That will be way too big. You need something long or either something deep. I usually get one that is 15inches by something.

Go ahead and pull apart your chicken or shred it with a fork. Once your rice is done, go ahead and strain it and give it a good rinse. Add your rice, shredded chicken, sauteed vegetables, cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, and mayonnaise to the baking dish and mix well. I normally use my hands to mix everything together. Yes it is very messy but at least everything is blended well. Give it a taste and see if it needs any seasoning. If it needs some seasoning then go ahead and season it a bit. Spread it out evenly in the pan and top with cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 mins at 350. Serve with some yeast rolls and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken & Rice Casserole

This is my version of Chicken & Rice Casserole. My friend Thad could eat this every day. Everytime he visits, this is what he wants me t...