Saturday, April 3, 2010

Seafood Chowder

This is one of my favorite recipes and one that is requested of me to cook. Everyone is always wanting this. The good thing about this recipe is that you have leftovers! If you are like me, you don't really want to cook every night especially when you have something to do the next day. This recipe is one that my Granny never got to try. She passed away before I started making this dish but I know if she were alive she would absolutely love it!

WARNING! This recipe along with just about all of my other recipes are not for dieters! If you are allergic to fat then proceed with caution lol :-) Okay so at least I am using half and half instead of heavy whipping cream in this dish. Things could always be worse you know ;-) You have to understand that I come from the South. Here in the South, we cook with lots of butter, whipping cream, etc. I promise this will be delicious and you won't be sorry you made it! Okay enough chit chat, let's start with the recipe.

You can use any combination of seafood that you want with this recipe. It all tastes really good. You can use only shrimp, only crawfish, only lump crab, etc. If you do it that way then you are going to need to use 2 lbs. of whatever you decide to use. If you do the combination then use 1 lb. of each.

Ingredients:

1 stick Butter (Salted or Unsalted)

1 bunch Green Onions

1 tbsp Garlic/Minced Garlic

1 can New England Clam Chowder (10 3/4 oz.)

1 can Cream of Potato (10 3/4 oz.)

2 cans Whole Kernel Corn w/juice (15 oz.)

1 package Cream Cheese Softened (8 oz.)

1 pint Half and Half

1 lb. Crawfish Tails

1 lb. Shrimp

1-2 tbsp Tony Chachere's

Chop up your green onions and garlic, if you are using fresh garlic. Peel your shrimp and give them a good rinse. I normally get a strainer and rinse my crawfish tails really well too unless I am using fresh tails, then don't worry about rinsing those. Melt your butter in a sauté pan. Add your green onions and garlic. Once the green onions and garlic are translucent, add your crawfish tails and shrimp in. Sauté those until they are just opaque.

Empty your items that you just sauteed in a pot that you are going to cook your chowder in. Add in your New England Clam Chowder, Cream of Potato, 2 cans of Corn w/juice, and Cream Cheese in the pot. Give it a good stir. Pour in the half and half. Add 1-2 tbsp. of Tony Chachere's in for seasoning. Stir and cook on low for 30mins. Serve over rice or noodles.

I eat this over jasmine rice that has been cleaned and cooked in a rice cooker. I have never tried it with noodles so I am not sure how the noodles would taste. I know the jasmine rice is to die for. Trust me, you will want to eat this over jasmine rice as well.

This is simple and very good! You will have leftovers for tomorrow night. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken & Rice Casserole

This is my version of Chicken & Rice Casserole. My friend Thad could eat this every day. Everytime he visits, this is what he wants me t...